My first fashion construction-based task of the semester is complete. Being a more textiles-based student, I was anticipating this as a difficult task. Usually I prefer to do things in my own way rather than follow a step-by-step guide, although in garment construction, rules are almost always necessary in order to make a well-fitting item of clothing.
During the workshops we went back to the basics of sewing; learning about patterns, pattern cutting, fabric lays and costing, overlocking and every other detail that goes into fashion construction.
The brief we were given was to design and make a shirt with a minimum of four sporty details such as exposed zips and contrast panels. All the shirts were required to fasten at the center front with an open ended zip and we were all given the same white and grey fabrics to work with.
I managed to stay true to my original design, although as this was only a toile, there would’ve been some changes I would make if I was to do it again. I chose to add a grey lower panel to the front and back of the shirt, as well as contrasting grey sleeves. An element of gathering was added at the back and a strap shoulder seam, to emphasise the sports-feel. I tried to keep the shirt structure fairly simple focusing more on the positioning of the contrasting colours.
Overall the construction of my shirt went smoothly, without any major problems. I had help and guidance along the way, but it was far less daunting than I had feared. Mistakes were made, but I learnt how to fix them and avoid them next time, recording every step along the way for future reference. In my opinion this was the benefit of doing a task like this at the beginning, to gain skills and learn.